Monday, June 3, 2013

Jesus is our gardener

Jacob has been really excited about flowers this spring, so he was disappointed when Andy wouldn't let him keep any of the yellow dandelions popping up in the yard. Methodically they went through the yard and dug them all out.

I had forgotten the dandelion debate by the time we went to the store the next day, but Jacob apparently had not.

While we were shopping for a few household items, he asked if we could pick out some flowers for the garden out back. I weighed the idea of spending the afternoon gardening with Jacob against the idea of making dinosaurs talk all afternoon, and quickly agreed to his request. We walked over to the gardening section where he picked out, among other flowers, a couple of yellow daisies. On the way home from the store, we had this conversation about the flowers:

"What do the flowers say right now?" Jacob asked.

"They say they're excited to go to their new home."

"I'm going to ask Jesus not to let daddy throw away my yellow flowers."

"Okay. But why do you think he's going to throw away the yellow flowers?"

"Because he made us throw away all the other yellow flowers. So I'm going to ask Jesus not to let daddy throw them away," Jacob said. "Dear Jesus, please don't let daddy throw away my yellow flowers. Amen."

"It's good to ask Jesus for things you want," I said, "and it's also good to tell Jesus things you're thankful for."

"Okay. I'm going to tell Jesus I'm thankful for all the things that make flowers grow. Like water and sun and dirt. Dear Jesus, thank you for all the things that make flowers go. Amen. Now what do the flowers say?"

I couldn't help but to be amused at the time. Thinking about it now, though, I think Jacob has the right idea praying for our flowers. It's spring now, and everything is starting off looking great. If last year is any indication, however, by the end of the summer, our gardens will be needing all the prayers they can get. So pray, on Jacob. Our flowers will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...