Monday, June 24, 2013

Conversations with Batman: On Dinosaurs

This may be the kind of love that lasts a lifetime...

September 11, 2011
This morning in church in remembrance of 9/11, we heard the words every parent of a 2-year-old dreads hearing: "Now let's have a moment of silence..." I'm pretty sure that only the people around us noticed Jacob lunging at me with a rubber dinosaur saying, "Rawrrrr!" at that particular moment.


November 9, 2011
Last night Andy and I did a puppet show for Jacob (one of Jacob's all-time favorite forms of entertainment). We did a modified version of the 3 little pigs using the puppets we had on hand, "The 3 Little Kids and the Big Bad Dinosaur." When we got to the part where the dinosaur wants to come into the house and says, "Then I'll huff and I'll puff and I"ll chomp your house down!" Jacob said, "You can just open the door, dinosaur."

February 7, 2012
Last night Drew was crying in his room. The crying suddenly stopped and I hear this: "Roar! Roar! This dinosaur is in your room! Roar!" I go in and Drew is surrounded by stuffed animals staring wide-eyed at Jake, who is standing on the crib rail leaning over Drew with a rubber dinosaur.

February 12, 2012
Today I listened in on Jacob playing by himself. Here is the scenario he was concocting: His trains were going to the toy store to pick out a new toy. At the store, they chose a dinosaur. They brought the dinosaur home and discovered when it started roaring that it wasn't a toy dinosaur but a real live dinosaur. Future writer?

February 29, 2012
Jacob: What dinosaur do you want to talk? Godzilla or Dr. Sharp Tooth?
Me: Godzilla.
Jacob: No, I'm talking Godzilla. Pick again.

April 29, 2012
Jacob's solution to the deer problem mom has in her yard: "Let me bring Godzilla over some day."

July 17, 2012
Jacob recently put one of his T-rex dinosaurs, Dr. Sharp Tooth, down for a nap before he took his nap. When he got up from his nap, he went to see Dr. Sharp Tooth and said to him, "You took a really good nap, Dr. Sharp Tooth. I have a special treat for you... duck-billed dinosaur!"

September 8, 2012
"This is my new baryonyx dinosaur. He eats fish, and he can even eat a whole big baby." - Jacob to Drew

September 15, 2012
"Do you want to see a picture of my kid? He's a great kid. I really love him." - Godzilla the T-Rex (voiced by Jacob) talking to the blue Matchbox pick-up truck

November 11, 2012
Today I decided to bake a cake because I had a cake mix that was "taking up space in the cabinet." Jacob walked in and asked whose birthday it was. I said, "Well it's... Dr. Sharp Tooth's birthday!" (Dr. Sharp Tooth is a gray T-Rex.) Jacob was really excited, so we ended up throwing Dr. Sharp Tooth an impromptu birthday party, complete with invitations, party hats, and of course, cake. The pirates, sharks, and meat-eating dinosaurs were all in attendance. (The plant-eaters weren't invited and probably wouldn't have come anyway out of fear of becoming the party food.) Dr. Sharp Tooth wished on his birthday cake for a delicious snack tomorrow (which sounded ominous), and needless to say, he was thrilled to be so honored.


March 25, 2013
Me: What do you want to play
Jacob: Let's play dinosaurs.
Me: Okay, let's play in the sun room.
Jacob: No, let's play in the living room.
Me: But you picked what we're playing, so shouldn't I get to pick where we play?
Jacob: Fine, I'll pick where we play and you pick dinosaurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...